Monday, December 24, 2012

My present to you

My most embarrassing Christmas/holiday memory. That should make a really great gift this holiday season to my readers. Don't mind me as I'm turning red and trying to hide in the virtual corner as I imagine everyone on the interwebs reading this.

I was living the dream childhood as a kid. I woke up, ate my breakfast, and watched cartoons before heading off for pre-school or school. (I can't exactly remember how old I was when this happened so I'm not sure which it'd have been.) My favorite thing to watch before leaving was Ninja Turtles. I loved them. Seriously loved them. 

A friend had a birthday party at Pizza Hut where we made our own ninja turtle felt puppets. It was the coolest thing ever. I couldn't believe how cool Jared was to have that as his birthday party. (Yes that was his name, I totally remember his name but can't remember what year/how old I was.) I had to make the purple one. Yeah for loving them I don't think I actually knew their names, just the colors. Well and Splinter of course, because he was the coolest of all of them! Back to the story. 

Anyway, I woke up Christmas morning (like all little kids do) at the crack of dawn, which meant I was allowed to open presents since it was finally Christmas. I'm tearing through my gifts (okay actually I nicely unwrapped everything and left the wrapping paper as intact as I could, I was that kind of kid) and one stands out. 

 Source: image via google images via MTV News

I got ninja turtle action figures. And I was DEVASTATED. "Well you love ninja turtles," my parents must have said, "Why don't you like them?" I screamed at them "Because they're BOY toys and I'm a girl, how could Santa do this!?! They're boy toys!!!!" My poor young brain was so put off over the prospect of having a boy toy (action figures are not girl toys, Poly Pockets and Care Bears and Barbies are girl dolls) I was besides myself. I probably would have loved them but I couldn't let myself enjoy them and I don't think I ever played with them. Simply because they were boy toys.

It's hard not to laugh when even just thinking about it now but at the time it was the worst thing to have happened to me ever. (Or so I thought) And for a while I had this mistrust in Santa because of this horrible horrible horrible let down. I hope I never disappoint my future children with such horrible misjudgements of gifts. But if I do hopefully it'll be as ludicrous and silly as my Christmas breakdown/temper tantrum was.

No comments:

Post a Comment