Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 in review

So 2012 has been ... well a lot has happened in the past 366 days. (It was a leap year after all!)

Highlights & Lowlights

January. Hubby and I attended a giant Scottish Festival. We're not Scottish, Hubby is Irish (and English) but Hubby got a chance to play his Irish/Gaelic sport, Hurling. I got a chance to hang out with my best friend from college and eat fun (fried) foods all day! 


February. Hubby ruined didn't do well for Valentine's day, as usual. He offered to "pay for 1/2 of those Toms flats you wanted. Buy them and just use half of the money from my part of the money in our [joint] account." Yeah that wasn't what any girl wants to hear. Worst part I never did get those shoes (even after my Mom offered to buy them for me), they never got them in stock in my size.


These did not wind up in my closet, despite my best efforts
Source: google images via meohmydesign

March. I don't know when but Hubby and I joined a cross training gym the beginning of 2012. For a while we kept it up, Hubby more than me, and we were both really happy about it. So I was totally working out around this time. Yay! (Boo that it didn't last)
April. Hubby got health insurance for the first time in over 8 years! (Thank you Hubs for working for a company that will pay for insurance. That's why I don't want you to leave!) He also promptly used it the day it became effective. And we wound up having to take him to ER and that bill was insane. But he's healthy! And covered. The next day was my birthday, I'm a big oldie and turned 26, I'm over a quarter of a century old now! 
May. Hubby's Dad (aka my father-in-law) was assaulted and seriously injured, he had his jaw and soft pallet broken. We were lucky that it happened on a random weekend we were in town visiting them and were able to stay a few extra days to try to help out. He's doing a lot better but without insurance or funds to pay for anything else himself he didn't follow through with the neurologist again like he should have. Fingers crossed nothing comes up again over this. The stupid drunk and horrible person that did this was never caught (he ran from town) so charges were never able to be officially be brought up. But he (my father-in-law) acts like it never happened, he's such an optimistic guy.  
June/July. We went to Atlanta! Neither of us had been before and it was a blast. (Besides killing a tire after hitting a curb at 12:30 in the morning on the drive in and the hours it took the next afternoon to replace the broken wheel hub/cover/rim. Of course they couldn't get the same part in time before we drove back so I had to buy a different kind so my car looks ghetto with one different than the rest.) We went to the Aquarium, the Coke museum, a Trader Joes (twice, I'm in love) and overall had a ton of fun. 

Personal photo. 

Hubby's car died, as in stalled out in the middle of an intersection in traffic at rush hour. Several times. We were doing the one car thing but it was killing us. We used our wedding present money for a down payment and bought Hubby the truck of his dreams. I don't dream about those payments but it's so nice to have a reliable second vehicle. And that photo, that's from the first weekend we owned it and I drove that thing myself! Thank you back up camera for the parking job. Oh and Hubby turned 26 that month as well!
September. I saw my Mom for the first time in months (since November of 2011, at the wedding). It was so incredibly nice to have her. Even though she just flew in for the weekend. It was frivolous but fabulous. 

We discovered this sign was exactly where we had to leave our grill in the middle of moving. oops!
Personal photo.

October. We moved! We were getting bored of our old house (even if it worked well for us) but we were forced out when it went into the final stages of foreclosure. Even though our rent paid their mortgage and we paid our rent every month of the 3 1/2 years we lived there. That was an adventure. But we're enjoying our new place and having neighbors that are nice. And we're actually friends with our neighbors now, it's awesome! Oh I celebrated three years at my office, that's a big deal!  
November. We celebrated our first wedding anniversary. Year old cake tasted amazing! We also made a trip to visit both of our families over Thanksgiving weekend and we drove down in the truck! While it was exhausting we had a great time.  (Hubby had to work late Wednesday so we arrived in Miami around 2:30 AM Thanksgiving morning. We also drove over 1,110 miles in long weekend.) I also got to sneak in an anniversary photo shoot at the park where we were married. We also got pictures of Zoe with us. And I got pictures of my Mom and I. The pictures have finally come back in and they're amazing. I'm going to share some soon, promise! But now I've convinced Hubby that we can get those taken each year something big happens (pregnancy/new baby, big anniversary, etc.) Totally win win!
December. We threw a holiday cookie exchange party at the new house. It was the first official party I've ever thrown at my house as an adult. We spent crazy money to get everything anyone might possibly need but everyone had a blast and it was great to accomplish everything I set out to! (Plenty adult beverage options, decorations, food, and party favors! I planned and cooked and baked my you know what off!) Oh yeah and we also had all the other holidays to celebrate this month. I made a crazy amount of latkes and shared that Chanukah traditional treat with friends and then we had a Christmas full of love and helped out a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment