Thursday, August 9, 2012

where do your keys go when they come home?

For the past three years we've just thrown our keys on the dinning room table. Dirty little secret (okay big secret): my dinning room table is really just my junk pile. Our house is too small for a real dinning room area, there's just enough room for a small table to go, but not enough room to actually use it. 

My husband has access to tons of pallets at work and decided to go on a building/tool kick with them. A half dozen came home with him one day and he's been thinking of the many uses for them ever since. I decided we'd have to use some of that wood to make a key holder. A few trips to Hobby Lobby (how I love thee!) and a few "consults" with my husband and a design for our key holder was created.

As a warning, I took these pictures with my iPhone (it's a 3g so it's barely hanging on 2+ years later and has a horrible camera). I also tried playing around with layers and filters and big girl photoshop techniques for the first time to make these seem artistic (aka blog worthy).

Please don't judge me. Yes, the frames seem crooked. Yes, the key holder is not level with the light switch. BUT my entire house is not level. The light switch isn't level to the wall. So it's hard to balance anything with that craziness.


Here's a close up of the beauty. I fell in love with that center hook, so pretty! But I knew it'd look bad with three of them. So then came in the other hooks. I don't love them but they're okay. What's hard to make out in the picture are old rusty nails in the wood. Some were already in that piece of wood but I had hubby put some more in for effect! (The nails are also a really pretty color that's similar to the two bronze hooks.)

Most days I will put my keys on this beauty but other days I forget and go to the trusty table. Hubby reminds me where they're really supposed to go. What do you think of it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment