Thursday, August 2, 2012

diy fail: jewelry holder

You know the phrase having eyes larger then your stomach? Well there's got to be something like that about taking on new project ideas. You look at everyone's blogs and things seem so easy! The few times I've tried any out myself they're 500 times harder than the blog made it seem and my end result (if it ever gets finished) is ... lackluster. Oh and did I mention that even the projects that are supposed to cheap/free tend to cost $50+!?

There are all of these beautiful jewelry holders on pinterst and the blogs. I had to make one for myself!
pinterest inspiration
Off to Goodwill I went. Amazingly I found the exact same frame as in one of the inspiration photos. (Pure chance, check one for me, I got a frame and a good one at that. This must turn out great, right!?) Off to Lowe's I went to get cork and hooks. Cork is only sold back to school time and this was April. So I bought hooks and hoped that's work since the frame had a thick backing on it's own. Off to Joann Fabrics I went to get some pretty fabric to back it all. By this point it'd been a good two or three weeks since I started this project and I was in for at least $20+. I should have realized this wasn't going to work out and yet I didn't, not yet. 

I spray painted the frame after half heartedly cleaning it from it's Goodwill unknown dirt. I take off the 300 screws in the back of the frame to pull it apart. I put on some gloves (I suck at spray painting and get pain all over my hands so it's better all over disposable gloves than my actual skin) and slather on a few coats of white pain. The paint dries, I prop the frame against the couch and leave it there. I try to cut some cardboard the size of the frame, maybe I can use that instead of cork to hang the hooks from? Cardboard is hard to cut with scissors. My hands hurt so I stop. A few attempts later and my cardboard is cut, just this much too large to fit the fabric in the frame as well. Oops! The frame sits against my couch waiting ... and waiting, it's a very patient frame. Because there it sat for months. It's now back in our spare room/office/man space, leaning against a wall. And below you can see it in it's glory (glory: haha, just kidding!).
This looks like a picture taken in 1972, sadly it was taken just now with my iPhone. When I say this is a DIY fail, I mean it!
 
I've got a space picked out in my bedroom for this go to, some day. It's also entirely possible that this will stay just as it is, in some random corner of my home, with that space on the wall in my bedroom empty. I'm pretty sure we both know what's the more likely outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment