Wednesday, May 1, 2013

art schmart

I'm crafty, I am NOT artistic. There's a big difference. I can come up with crafty ideas but when it comes to artistic talent that's required to make said craft/art nice that's where I can't follow through to the end. 

Some times I forget that and try my hand at something and when it fails then I remember, 'oh yeah I don't have any artistic abilities.' Last weekend I went to a local art event, every year I love going and build it up so much that I always get let down. The arts and crafts tend to fall into two categories, either "They want how much for this!?!" or "Who'd ever buy this!?!" I seem to forget about that until I go and then remember. I'm always looking for the elusive item that I like and that seems to be not incredibly expensive. I think I've only ever bought three things from this festival over the years: bacon salt, a wooden birdhouse bird feeder, and homemade soy candles. The bacon salt was good but highly processed I don't know what it really was and the bird feeder got eaten (yes the wood too, not just the bird seeds) by the squirrels in just a few weeks. The candles I bought this year and so far so great. 

Anyway, typically I'll find something that's really pretty (and handmade) but of course crazy expensive. This year I saw a really pretty painting of a coneflower, one of my favorites, it was so my style but so out of my price range  I took a picture on the sly and thought about it. I said "what the hell" and decided I'd eventually try to recreate it myself. I had a blank canvas lying around the house and went to HobbyLobby and bought myself some paint and some brushes. I took my cell phone, zoomed into the photo of the painting and tried my best Neil Caffery forgery to make art. Here's the comparison, which isn't very good because even my incognito photo came out way better than my multiple attempts of my own painting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment