Wednesday, February 27, 2013

aw shucks

Source: google images via tumblr
I'm a social worker. I get to make a difference in people's lives everyday with my job. The amazing part (as if that's not enough) is that my job is one of very few in my field where my patients are aware of this and are sometimes thankful and actually thank me for my help. 

Source: google images via here
I have a graduate degree in this, I know a good deal about my field and techniques and the correct and incorrect ways to do things. A very fine line in social work are boundaries. Anyway, something happened today that was probably crossing over appropriate boundaries but it wasn't meant to be harmful (or creepy) and I just have to share it with you!


When I got married it took me several months to get everything switched over to legally have my name changed at work. I've had patients for years, several for over three since I've been here. A lot of them noticed that my name changed all of a sudden and at the point it was appropriate to explain it was because I got married. (Yes that's acceptable.) The comments some of my patients have made about it is where those boundaries lines have been crossed, but they were all said with goodness in their hearts. Here's one interaction I can't help but smile about:
Source: google images via here (with minor edits by me to make it fit)
Patient: "You know I'm in love with you, no wonder why that man married you. You just make everything so easy." 
Me: "Well I'll tell him that." (I doubt my husband thinks I make life easy, haha!)
Patient: "I'd steal you away if I could. Tell that man that I would take you, so he better watch out!"


So yeah, it made me smile and smirk. And my when I told Hubby he laughed as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment