Tuesday, October 2, 2012

yes, I'm still alive ... barely

So this weekend we moved. In any setting that's an event that a normal person would dread. I knew it wouldn't be fun. I knew I'd be miserable. But I hoped it'd work out well enough and I'd be so happy in our new home when all was said and done that'd it be worth it. And then this weekend happened. (I accidentally typed happy when first writing that, that was not and is NOT how I feel about this at all. Ironic that's what my fingers erroneously typed at first though!)

The long and short of it all: 

FRIDAY 
  • Friday after work hubby and I work on taking a load to the new house. As he's working on the next load and I'm running a quick errand I come back to him with his hand wrapped up and bloody. He broke a giant piece of glass and cut his left hand open. (He's left handed) That was at 9:38, I sped through town to the one office open until 10 (to avoid having to go to the ER) and he had his hand stitched up. (Sort of, cloth strips/stitches, no actual stitches.) Then off to CVS for his antibiotics he had to start that night to be filled. Oh and he also had to get a tetanus shot, just in case. And he almost passed out three times between the drive there and while they were working on him.  
SATURDAY
  • With false enthusiasm  we start bright and early. I head to Comcast to pick up our new equipment since we had to switch to them for this new house. Per friends' suggestions I got there at 8:25 when they open at 9. For 20 minutes it was just me and the lawn crew, no one else. All of a sudden at 8:45 everyone in town shows up. Miraculously I'm the first one helped.
  • Back at the house Hubby is greeted by only two of the three friends who promised to help us move. Third guy flaked off. Hubby's dominant hand is down and yet he pushes through, bandaged up and all.
  • In the middle of our second trip, mattresses in tow, the heavens open up and it POURS. The boxspring is soaked through, mattress was thankfully covered (because I'm crazy like that even when there was no rain forecast) and has patches of wetness, lots of other wooden furniture soaked as well.
SUNDAY
  • It's just Hubby and I and we're trying to power through and finish. (We have to be out of the old house by midnight.) Morning trips: okay. In a lull I start to panic: there's no way we'll be done in time ... I can't handle 5-10 more trips, I don't have it in me! What are we going to do!?! Hubby insists it'll all be okay, just keep moving!
  • Afternoon trips: it pours again. This time we were somewhat prepared, had tarps. But were limited to not being able to take things outside into cars because it was POURING! 
  • Rain stops and we make a few more trips. And then have to take an hour, round trip, to drop off the borrowed trailer. I have NO CLUE where these people lived and how it's still considered to be in our town!
  • 10:30 PM we finish at the old house and head over with two full vehicles worth of stuff to the new house. Hubby's hand needs to be protected and wrapped for showers, for the second time this week I have to shower him. (Fun, but not when we're both bone tired.)
  • 12:35 AM I declare I'm going to bed I can't stay awake anymore, I don't care if my hair is still wet I'm done!

And that brings us to now. Yesterday Hubby and I were like zombies trying to function. Today it a little bit better. Hello October!

No comments:

Post a Comment