Thursday, September 6, 2012

greek pita pizza

I love to bake and cook. Cookbooks are wonderful but there's also so many wonderful recipes and inspiration that is simply a click away on the interwebs. There's also nothing better than finding a recipe that's so wonderful you can't imagine life without it in your recipe rotation. This, ladies and gentlemen, is one of those recipes. I was desperate to find something new, but easy, with ingredients I already had on hand. You know, when you get creative juices ruining through you that you just have to make something but you don't actually feel like going to the store to pick up any new ingredients. (I have a lot of those moments.)

Anyway, after only a few (more than a few but less than a half hour) minutes on pinterest I found such a recipe. (Spoiler alert, the title revealed the actual recipe.)

Greek Pita Pizza! 

Warning: bad photo! Recipe via Pink Parsley
It's so simple yet so wonderful and it was really easy to put together. It's not a difficult recipe, more of an insipration for your own recipe. So I took the version from Pink Parsley and twisted it for me.

Ingredients
6 large pitas (I used Tofuyan Large Pitas)
Hummus (2/3 recipe of quick and easy hummus*)
Kalamata olives, sliced
1/2 a red onion, sliced thin
Feta cheese, crumbled (I used reduced fat feta)
Italian cheese (I used the 4 Cheese Reduced Fat Italian mix from Sargento)
Garlic powder
Extra virgin olive oil (or oil of your choosing)
Any other topping(s) of your choosing

Preheat oven to 450-475 degrees. Brush both sides of pitas with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. Place pitas in a single layer on the baking sheet(s). I had to use two baking sheets to fit all of the pitas. Bake pitas for about 5 minutes, until slightly crispy. 

Spread hummus on each pita, to your own preference. I used about 1-2 tablespoons hummus on each pita, just enough to have a decent amount on each pita. This is the sauce of your pizza so you can make it as think or thick of a layer as you like.  

Sprinkle chopped olives and red onions on each pita, to your own taste. In my house we love onions so we loaded those up. (The second time I made these, well Hubby actually did, we had red peppers on hand and added those, great addition!) Add a tablespoon or so of your Italian cheese, but you're more than welcome to add more cheese if you want. Bake the pitas for 5-10 minutes, or hower long it takes for the cheese to melt. Let your pita pizas cool and enjoy! 

Since knowing the nutrition of what I'm going to eat makes me really happy I'll share my highly unscientific guesstimate:
Serving: 1 Greek Pita Pizza; Calories: 282; Fat: 8.2g; Carbohydrates: 38.7g; Protein: 14.2g
Diabetic Exchange Guesstimate: 1 fat, 2 protein, 2.75 carbohydrates

* Quick and Easy Hummus
Ingredients
1 can chickpeas/garbonzo beans
1 lemon
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
Salt, pepper, seasonings to taste

Drain chickpeas and place into a food processor. Roughly chop the garlic and place in the food processor as well. Pour olive oil and sprinkle salt to taste in the processor. Slice lemon in half and squeeze each half into chickpeas. (TIP: Take a pair of kitchen tongs and place lemon half inside the tongs, use the 'arms' for assistance squeeze out the juice without any real effort on your part.) Mix the food processor until your hummus is your desired consistency. If it's too thick just add more liquid, either more lemon juice or olive oil or the bean juices or even water. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment